Friday 23 March 2012

Port of Morrow


Hello it’s me again, the worlds worst blogger.

The thing is every day I wake up with something I feel I should write, and by the middle of the day those topics have most likely tripled. In the afternoon my ideas form a quiet hum, they wind into each other and bloom into bigger ones. In the afternoon I wish I could spy into my head, it is most fluid then. Calm if i’ve drank the right amount of coffee and not forgotten to eat. By dinner I have roughly 10 fully formed topics I want to immerse in, and by bed time my brain is an apollonian gasket. The circles are big, and then small, and then within all the gaps a trillion other spheres. Winding and churning like a clunky gearbox – if i’m happy I imagine all the spheres turn in unison, producing a fully functioning machine. If sad, then unfortunately nothing works.
I think everyone on earth (with enough time, money, patience and a laptop) should stop what their doing and listen to the new Shins album. Seriously. It is brilliant. James Mercer took a 5 year break and arrived once again, now a family man with a new set of band mates and a different sound. Nonetheless, his talent has not diminished at all.  I don't even know which song to post on here because everything (except Pariah King. That one fucking sucked. Sorry mercer) sounds so good and wholesome and i just want to crawl into a little shins blanket and think about summertime and lakes and trees.  Mercer has this magical quality to his voice where he alters melody within melody. I don't know how to explain it properly, but it is most apparent on the 13th second of "Mines Not A High Horse" (from the Chute Too Narrow album). Most Shins songs in general have an underlying melody that doesn't sound at all like the overarching one, and is place for more than just harmony.  I'm not sure, but the hidden tunes in each song seem to tell tales unheard in the lyrics and the primary melody (Saint Simon, at 3:50 seconds into the song). Anyway heres a new one:
 
I finally had all my ducks in a row
Peace and quiet by means of subtraction
How she got in i'm not sure that I know
By two weeks on and my spine was in traction
My eyes in a basket

No comments:

Post a Comment